Considering a Wedding Cake
Older style wedding cakes tended to fall into traditional patterns. Cakes were white, had several layers and were topped off with a little model of the bride and groom. This changed over time, partly because of changing fashion, partly because of what cooking technology made possible. Today we might still have an eye on past traditions, but modern trends are more diverse than ever, influenced by many foreign traditions but more concerned individual style and taste.
Custom Made Cakes Sydney
The older approach was to have a standard, often round, cake and then decorate it in a fancy manner. This decoration was often the creative element, with the basic cake staying the same.
There are plenty of fine, even impressive cakes, made with the ‘decorate a basic white cake approach’. But today we can make the cake itself the decoration rather than the thing to be decorated. It is not too difficult to make cakes in all sort of unusual shapes, and decorate at it accordingly.
Considerations for Custom Cakes
• It will have to be large enough to feed all the guests at least a small slice.
• Will it be under hot lights, kept frozen or served outside? Some cakes accommodate this, some cakes need to be kept cold.
• A single idea for a design, or perhaps two combined ides are the best approach. Anything beyond this can turn into a monstrosity.
• Transporting the cake is always a consideration.
• Consider how you will feel about your cake design in the future. A novelty idea that seems comical now may be embarrassing when you look back at your photos in the future.
Wedding Cakes Sydney
A wedding is meant to be the once in a lifetime event where you can go overboard. This includes the cake, which is surly one of the memorable images at any wedding.
It’s okay to be inspired by some wedding traditions, but don’t ever regard these traditions as limitations. Creativity and individuality are more important. So go beyond the generic ideas and think of the cake design that you be proud to see in your wedding photos. And be assured that the cake will taste great too