Wedding cakes have had a little ‘topper’ decoration for generations. These have often been popular on birthday cakes too. But more recently the cakes have had their decorations as part of the cake itself; the decoration was edible. This completely edible style cake is an impressive feat, though a topper that acts as a keepsake also has a certain appeal.
Using the topper as a keepsake predates photos. Today we have multiple photos of the wedding, and many images of the cake, to remember the wedding by, so we don’t need the topper.
Yet a cake topper decoration can still be incorporated into a cake, wedding or otherwise.
Some poplar ideas:
- A little bride and groom – a classic idea that never goes out of style.
- The bride and groom as children.
- Cartoon characters
- Cute Animals – Penguins, butterflies …etc.
- The married couple as animals that suit their personality.
- Married couples (new) name.
- Horse Drawn Wedding Coaches.
- Light hearted and comical ideas are Okay, but you don’t want to be embarrassed by them when you look back in ten year’s time.
- Wooden toppers, handcrafted and DIY.
- Silhouette metal images of the happy couple. These can be laser cut from a single piece of metal. Black and gold silhouettes work well, especially if lit from behind.
- Any heirloom topper from your (great) grandparents.
If you have you heart set on a cake topping decoration you can probably have it incorporated into a modern cake design.